Thursday, December 23, 2010

The True Spirit of Christmas...

As we get ever closer to Christmas, I look at my tree with all the presents wrapped and arranged beneath it, and I remember leaner times. Times when there were only two or three presents under the tree waiting to be unwrapped, all small and inexpensive, many hand-made because we could not afford store-bought presents, and I am reminded of the unexpected generosities I have been blessed with over the years.



Many years ago, when my oldest child was preparing for his first Christmas (gosh, that was 20 years ago!), my husband and I were young and poor. I was 16 years old. He was 19. We were barely capable of taking care of ourselves and we had an 8-month-old baby with a cold.

I used to save all month so I could buy a $100 meat package from the butcher. Then I would carefully plan so that meat would last us all month until we could get enough money together to buy another package. That year, we were down to two chicken breasts and I was saving them to have for Christmas dinner.

One day, I was at the video store where I worked and one of our regular customers came in. The local grocery store used to give free turkeys to customers who spent a certain amount of money.  He told me he had an extra one and asked if we would like to have it. I was touched and very relieved because now we would have enough meat to last another week until we could buy more.

Christmas Eve, he showed up at my house with the turkey. As he put it in my refrigerator, he told me he also bought some bread for us so I could make stuffing. He excused himself, and went to his truck to get it. When he came back, he had three grocery bags full of food for us. He bought cold medicine for my son and had a fourth bag of Christmas presents for all of us.

Every year, as I place presents under the tree, I remember that man. His name was John and he was an angel. He reminded me that year and every year since to be grateful for what I have and to remember the REAL meaning behind the holiday. It is not about receiving the best gifts or the things you want most. It's about giving selflessly to someone else who needs it. I don't think I will ever forget that Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment