Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Happy Memorial Day? Hmmm… maybe not

As is usual, I posted my daily Quote of the Day on my Facebook page Monday (a thoughtful quote on freedom by our former president, Ronald Regan) and at the end, wished everyone a Happy Memorial Day. After all, it was a holiday and that is what you do on holidays, isn’t it? Then a reader and long-time friend of mine responded and made me think. (That is one of my favorite things about my readers!) 

Is it appropriate to wish others a “Happy” Memorial Day?

This was a great question and one I hadn’t considered. I’m somewhat ashamed to admit the actual meaning of the holiday didn’t even cross my mind as I wrote it. My thought process didn’t get any further than “It’s a holiday. Make sure you say something to your readers.” So I asked all my Facebook fans what they thought and the answer came back that 75% of you felt it was inappropriate to wish people a Happy Memorial Day.


General John Logan proclaimed Memorial Day in May 1868 to honor the Union and Confederate soldiers who were buried in Arlington National Cemetery. By 1890, the day was recognized throughout the Northern states but Southern states were slow to join in.

After World War I, the holiday was changed to honor soldiers who died fighting in any war instead of just the Civil War. At that time, the Southern states joined in the observances and the day was declared a national holiday in 1971.

A Little Rusty...While reading up on the subject, I discovered I am not the only one who has forgotten the meaning of this day. Many Americans have forgotten what Memorial Day commemorates and instead the holiday has become synonymous with the beginning of the summer season. Beach balls, cookouts and suntan lotion are a far cry from the realities our soldiers faced during the many wars in our national history. I would like to take this opportunity to remind all of you what we should remember each year and every day.

Memorial Day is a day of remembrance. A day to honor those whose actions have given us the freedom to forget. The people whose sacrifice has helped shape the country we live in and the ideals we hold dear. Without their sacrifice, our lives would be very different today.

Traditional observances include:
    Flags decorate the graves of U.S. service members on Memorial Day at the Cambridge American Cemetery and Memorial in Madingley, England
  • visiting cemeteries and placing flags or flowers on the graves of fallen soldiers.
  • visiting memorials to the soldiers whose lives were left on battlefields throughout our history.
  • flying the U.S. and the POW/MIA flags at half-mast until noon.
  • participating in a "National Moment of Remembrance" at 3 p.m. to pause and think upon the true meaning of the day followed by the playing of Taps.
  • renewing a pledge to aid the widows, widowers, and orphans of fallen soldiers and to aid disabled veterans.

These are the traditional observances of the holiday. Not great sales at the mall, the right to wear white in public, and an excuse to break the flip-flops out of the back of the closet.
So, on the last Monday of May every year, keep in mind the real meaning of Memorial Day and don’t make the same faux pas that I did. If honored correctly, it should NOT be a HAPPY Memorial Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment