Friday, April 1, 2011

The Joke’s on US!

Impending Doom (Explored)I’m not really a prankster. I enjoy a good laugh and I think I have a pretty good sense of humor but the idea of dedicating an entire day to pranking others has always seemed a poor use of my day. It hearkens to my days of being picked on and made fun of in grade school – a time I’m not in a rush to revisit.

Yet millions of people will be celebrating today by playing tricks on their family, friends and co-workers.  I must ask myself, who’s brilliant idea was this? As is usual, I did a little research…


As it turns out, there are many theories and legends about the origin of this holiday. However, no one seems to know how it really came to be.  Seems the joke’s on us.

Popular theories:

  • In Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales, the “Nun’s Priest’s Tale” is interpreted as having occurred on April 1. In it, Chauntecleer, a proud rooster, is tricked by a fox demonstrating the pitfalls of pride and ego.
  • In medieval Europe the New Year was celebrated on or around April 1 when winter was ending and the new agricultural year was beginning. When the Gregorian calendar was ordered by Pope Gregory XIII in 1582, New Year’s Day was moved to Jan. 1. Those who stuck to tradition and celebrated on April 1 were called fools.
  • Iranians have celebrated Sizdah Bedar on either April 1 or April 2 since 536 BC. It is the oldest prank tradition in the world today and sometimes believed to be the origin of this holiday.

2 comments:

  1. And for a fun April fools day read try "Fools Day" by Patrick Thomas. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tree, Thanks for the suggestion! I'll be checking it out! I love finding new books to read and this series sounds intriguing. :)

    ReplyDelete